Are you looking for the best breadcrumbs plugin for your WordPress website?
Using breadcrumbs on your site has 2 benefits:
- It improves user experience by telling your visitors on which page they’re relative to the homepage.
- In terms of SEO, it enables you to show a breadcrumb trail in the search results, which makes your site stand out.
In this post, we’ll share some of the best WordPress breadcrumbs plugins that will help improve user experience throughout your website.
What Are Breadcrumbs in WordPress?
Breadcrumbs on a WordPress website present a simple path that the visitors could follow from their current location to the previous pages, all the way to the home page.
As a result, visitors can easily go back to any of the pages that lie in the path to the top-level pages.
Here’s an example of breadcrumbs:
You can see that the breadcrumbs (highlighted in the box) WPBeginner » Blog » Tutorials allow the reader to go to either tutorials, blog, or the top-level homepage by clicking any of the links.
Using these links, visitors can easily go to any page in the chain without wasting time searching for it or clicking the Back button.
Breadcrumbs are a secondary navigation feature that supports the main website navigation and presents a simple scheme that visitors could follow to the previous pages.
While you can implement breadcrumbs manually, the best practice is to use a plugin that sets up the feature for your website.
Here are 7 WordPress breadcrumbs plugins to help you implement the feature without any hassle.
Best WordPress Breadcrumbs Plugin
AIOSEO is the best WordPress SEO plugin that offers a great number of features, including a simple way of setting up breadcrumbs. This feature allows you to display breadcrumbs wherever you want and thus improves the user experience on your website.
The setup is straightforward – you just need to navigate All in One SEO » General Settings in your WordPress admin dashboard.
To set up breadcrumbs, go to the Breadcrumbs tab, and toggle on Enable Breadcrumbs.
Once enabled, you just need to add a shortcode or code snippet where you want to show the breadcrumbs.
You may also want to check out our ultimate guide to adding breadcrumbs navigation in WordPress.
- Easy SEO setup: No matter you have a blog, website, ecommerce store, or any other type of website, AIOSEO makes it easy for you to optimize your site for search engines, thanks to our easy setup wizard.
- All Features You Need: AIOSEO is the one-stop solution for all your onsite optimization needs, including rich snippet schema, sitemaps, redirection manager, and more.
- Seamless Integration: AIOSEO lets you integrate with Google Search Console, Google AMP, popular social media platforms, and many popular WordPress plugins.
The starting price of All in One SEO is $49.50 per year.
Breadcrumb NavXT helps you create customizable breadcrumbs that can be displayed on your pages and posts. The plugin supports Gutenberg editor and comes with a Breadcrumb trail block.
The plugin follows the standard WordPress plugin installation process. Once done, you can use the widget to set up the breadcrumbs. To edit a breadcrumb, you can simply go to the administrative section available at Settings » Breadcrumb NavXT.
- Support for Multiple Languages: Breadcrumb NavXT supports several languages and is fully compatible with WPML and PolyLang.
- Supports Schema: Breadcrumb NavXT supports schema to generate breadcrumbs compatible with the website structure.
- BuddyPress Compatible: If you’re running a BuddyPress-powered forum, you’ll see a smooth operation, thanks to the close integration between the two plugins.
- Single Functionality: The plugin offers a single functionality of just setting up breadcrumbs. Some users might not want the overhead of another plugin for just a single function.
Breadcrumb NavXT is available for free from the WordPress Plugin repository
Breadcrumb is a lightweight plugin that offers an easy breadcrumb setup. The plugin can be used within theme templates, thanks to the hooks and filters of the plugin.
This plugin is ideal for WordPress theme developers, not beginner-level users. To begin using the plugin, install and activate the plugin. Next, to set up breadcrumbs, add the shortcode to the location where you wish to display the shortcode.
- Fully Customizable: The plugin offers complete control over various aspects of displaying breadcrumbs, including the addition (or removal) of category and archive levels.
- Translation Ready: The plugin can easily be translated into various target languages.
- Not for Newbies: Compared to other plugins on this list, this plugin is geared towards technically inclined users.
The premium version of Breadcrumb is available in three plans:
$9 for a single site license for a year
$39 for up to 10 sites for a year
$69 for unlimited use for a year
4. Yoast SEO
Yoast SEO is a popular SEO plugin that’s often used to set up breadcrumbs for WordPress websites. The plugin offers good control over how breadcrumbs are implemented on your website.
To set up the breadcrumbs, go to SEO » Search Appearance » Breadcrumbs. Enable the toggle to set up the breadcrumbs. Once you have gone through the settings, click Save changes to finalize the settings.
- Control Over Breadcrumbs Appearance: The plugin allows you to set up the breadcrumbs just the way you wish by changing the appearance, the separator, and related settings.
- Supports Schema: Yoast SEO supports a wide range of schema so that the search engines have a clear idea of what your website is about.
- Cluttered UI: Yoast has a lot of features that are distributed across several areas. This adds to the learning curve as users try to find various settings.
Yoast SEO plugin costs $89 and comes with one year of support and free updates.
RankMath is a relatively newer plugin that has managed to build a good community of users. This plugin also lets you set up breadcrumbs on your website.
The process of setting up breadcrumbs is straightforward. Go to RankMath » General Settings » Breadcrumbs. Enable the toggle to set up the breadcrumbs. You can finetune the way breadcrumbs appear on your website by going through the settings for breadcrumbs.
Next, make sure the breadcrumbs are visible on your site by copying the shortcode in your page’s text editor or where you wish to display them.
- Optimize Breadcrumb Design: RankMath allows you to set up how visitors see and interact with breadcrumbs.
- Integration With Elementor Page Builder: Thanks to its support for Elementor, you only have to add the breadcrumbs widget, and RankMath would automatically populate the widget with the breadcrumb of the page.
- Limited feature set: Since RankMath is a new plugin, it’s not feature-rich as compared to other popular plugins, like All in One SEO.
RankMath offers two paid plans:
- PRO for $59+tax and comes with the option to track 500 keywords
- BUSINESS for $199+tax and comes with the option to track 10,000 keywords
Flexy Breadcrumb is perhaps the easiest plugin to use on this list. It’s lightweight and integrates breadcrumbs directly in your desired locations. It has an active user community that uses the plugin to set up breadcrumbs on all pages and posts of their websites.
The plugin can be installed like any other plugin and after activation, you can use a shortcode to set up the breadcrumbs on the page.
- Support For Schema: The plugin follows the website schema to streamline breadcrumb placement.
- Optimized Breadcrumb Design: The plugin allows you to change the separator, hierarchy, and color for the breadcrumb.
- Requires Shortcodes: The plugin requires some familiarity with editing pages and placing shortcodes.
The plugin is free to use under the Open Source license.
This plugin is aimed at doing one single job: help restyle the default WooCommerce breadcrumbs. With this plugin, you can easily disable the breadcrumb display on any page.
This plugin enhances the available options for WooCommerce breadcrumbs, and you can format them the way you like.
To use the plugin, simply install and activate it. Next, go to Settings » WC Breadcrumbs and set the options as you see fit.
- HTML Control: Use the plugin to edit the HTML template for better placement and styling of breadcrumbs.
- Complete Control Over Breadcrumbs: The plugin allows you to change the separator and related settings.
- Requires Web Development Exposure: This plugin mainly offers the tools to format the HTML code that displays the breadcrumbs on your site. This requires familiarity with web development and HTML code.
The plugin is available for free.
Which Is the Best Breadcrumbs Plugin for WordPress?
WordPress offers you a great choice of plugins in terms of usability and SEO. You can use any of the above Breadcrumb plugins to implement breadcrumbs on your site the way you want.
For best results, you should opt for AIOSEO because it offers the best combination of features and options that improves usability and helps you beat the competition in terms of SEO. It gives you access to a set of advanced tools that takes your website SEO to the next level.
We hope this post helped you to find out the best WordPress breadcrumbs plugin.
What are you waiting for? Get started with the most powerful WordPress AIOSEO plugin today.